Genes are present in chromosomes and are made up of DNA. We inherit genes from our dad and mom. Our gene construction dictates how our physique grows and regulates. When genes are regular, they work correctly. When genes are irregular or broken, they’ll result in illness. These are referred to as gene mutations, or modifications. Some modifications run in households (hereditary), and a few occur by probability. A gene mutation will be the only real reason behind illness. Nonetheless, most illnesses happen from a mixture of genetic and environmental elements.
Genetic testing appears to be like at your genes to test for any mutations. The take a look at is finished with a pattern of blood, saliva, or tissue. There are a number of the explanation why you may do genetic testing.
- To diagnose a illness or a kind of illness.
- To find out the reason for a illness.
- To find out therapy choices for a illness.
- To search out your danger of getting a sure illness that probably will be prevented.
- To search out your danger of passing a illness to your youngsters.
- To display screen your embryo, fetus, or child.
Path to properly being
Speak to your physician when you assume you’re in danger for an inherited illness. They could refer you to a genetic counselor, who can assessment your loved ones historical past and supply recommendation. They’ll ask you questions on your well being and the well being of your blood kin. This data can calculate what your danger could also be. It might probably make it easier to determine whether or not you wish to get testing. It additionally might decide in case your insurance coverage pays for the testing.
If certainly one of your loved ones members already has the illness, they need to get genetic testing first. This can present if their illness was handed down or occurred by probability. Individuals from totally different ethnic teams are extra susceptible to sure illnesses.
A optimistic take a look at end result means that you’ve got the gene change. This will increase your danger of the illness. Nonetheless, it doesn’t assure you’re going to get the illness. It does imply you might go the mutation to your youngsters.
A unfavorable take a look at end result signifies that you don’t have the gene change. This will imply the illness doesn’t run in your loved ones or wasn’t handed right down to you. A unfavorable end result doesn’t assure you received’t get the illness. It signifies that your danger of the illness is identical as it’s for different individuals.
Issues to think about
Genetic testing has execs and cons. These can change relying in your scenario. Take into account that genetic testing is a voluntary selection. You shouldn’t really feel compelled to do it.
Some advantages of genetic testing embody:
- You is likely to be much less frightened about getting a sure illness.
- You may have the ability to change your way of life to scale back your danger.
- You may know how one can transfer ahead with household planning.
- You may have the ability to get therapy to forestall the illness. This might embody drugs or surgical procedure.
- Your physician will know the way typically to test for the illness.
There are also causes you may not need genetic testing accomplished. These are primarily emotional or monetary.
- You is likely to be extra frightened about getting a sure illness.
- You may really feel offended, responsible, or depressed.
- It might result in issues together with your employer or insurance coverage firm.
Inquiries to ask your physician
- How do I do know if I ought to see a genetic counselor?
- If my genetic testing result’s optimistic, what’s my danger of getting the illness? What can I do to forestall or deal with it?
- Ought to my genetic testing be accomplished in a medical setting or can I do it from dwelling?